Homemade Potato Chips
- 4 large Hollywood Fries potatoes
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional, for added flavor)
- Cooking spray (optional, for oven-baked chips)
- Wash the Hollywood Fries potatoes thoroughly under cold running water to remove any dirt. Using a sharp knife, slice the potatoes into very thin rounds. You can use a mandoline slicer for uniform thickness if available.
- Place the sliced potatoes in a large bowl of cold water to remove excess starch. This will help your chips become crispier when fried. Let them soak for about 15 minutes, then drain and pat them dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot or deep fryer, pour the vegetable oil. Heat the oil over medium-high heat until it reaches a temperature of 350°F (175°C). You can use a kitchen thermometer to monitor the temperature.
- Carefully add a handful of potato slices to the hot oil using a slotted spoon or tongs. Do not overcrowd the pot; fry in batches if necessary. Fry the slices for 2-3 minutes or until they turn golden brown and crispy. Keep an eye on them as cooking times may vary depending on the thickness of the slices. Remove the fried chips with a slotted spoon and place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil. Season them immediately with salt, pepper, and paprika (if using). Toss to evenly distribute the seasonings.
- Continue frying the remaining potato slices in batches, seasoning each batch as they come out of the oil. If you prefer oven-baked chips, preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C), place the potato slices on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray, and bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping them halfway through, until they are golden and crispy. Season as soon as they come out of the oven.
- Serve your homemade Hollywood Fries potato chips immediately while they are still hot and crispy. They are delicious on their own or with your favorite dip.